Re: Is it safe to use Debian GNU/Hurd?

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Is it safe to use Debian GNU/Hurd?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:56:02 +0100

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:42:47AM +0100, Andreas Tolfsen wrote:
> I've found the ISO images (http://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu.iso/K5/).  I am
> sitting on my desktop computer (Pentium 4 2.54 GHz); is there any
> possibility that I can run Debian GNU/Hurd (the URL ISOs) on my machine?
>  Is it safe?  Will it ruin my hardware? (I have to ask!)

I haven't heard about people having their hardware ruined by GNU/Hurd
(Mach), so it's pretty safe to try out, if you ask me. Whether it works
for you is a different matter, hardware-support is not so great and
remember that we still have a partition limit of around 1.5 GB.

We cannot guarentee the 'safeness' of GNUMach and the GNU Hurd on any
legal layer, but it's pretty safe to run it/try it out, yes.

Just read the documentation first to find out about any caveats.

Michael