Re: passive translator timeout

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: passive translator timeout
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:31:21 +0200 (CEST)

   it will continue running until the Hurd is rebooted, and then the
   Hurd will forget its existence.

It will continue to run till the day you kill it, be it with `settrans
-ag', figureing out which pid it has and using `kill' or killing the
system.

   I don't want an active translator,

Unless you don't want to access the cdrom, you do.

   i actually want a translator that is "more passive" than what is
   currently defined as passive.

A passive translator is meta-data in the file-system, you can't be
more passive then that.  It only becomes active when you access the
node in some way.

   >    is there an easy way to allow me to eject a cdrom when not in
   >    use and retain the passive translator?
   >
   > settrans -ag /cdrom

   The option -g only works when setting a passive translator to
   replace an active translator.  the point of those options is what
   do you do with the active translator that is still running.

No, -ag kills the active translator.  You wanted to be able to eject
the cdrom and retain the passive translator, `settrans -ag /cdrom'
does that.

Cheers.