Re: Problems with the console, and xfree86

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Problems with the console, and xfree86
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:37:09 +0000

Alex <io_alex_2002@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Anyway, the main problem is that I cannor run the Hurd
> console. I have "settransed" the /dev/kbd and tryed to
> start the hurd console many ways. Here is one of what
> I have tryed :
>
> -> console -d vga -d pc_kbd -d generic_speaker /dev/vcs

You can't use `-d pc_kbd' for the console and the /dev/kbd translator
simultaneously.

> Suddenly, the screen becomes black, and the computer
> blocks. I mean by that, keyboard is inactive, if I
> press keys, nothing happens.

That is because two users read from one device.  You can not tell for
sure who receives the event.

There is a keyboard repeater for the console in development.  I think
the next debian package will not have this problem.

> After that, I have managed to configure the network,
> and installed all necessary packages for XFree86.
> And of course, that didn't work :( I have modified my
> XF86Config file as mentioned and when I type "startx",
> the screen becomes black and after a couple of
> seconds, the computer reboots itself !??. If you can
> help me solving this problem, I can give you my
> xf86config-4 file and the xf86config.0.log file.

I think this is related to the keyboard.  Changing the /servers/crash
symlink to might make your box a bit more stable (but that will not
fix X...).  Try setting it to something like /servers/crash-kill.  (I
am not sure if the paths are correct, but it is something like this
:))

So if you want to use XFree, close the Hurd console for now with
ctrl+alt+backspace.

--
Marco