Re: SATA drive nomenclature

From: Oliver Beck
Subject: Re: SATA drive nomenclature
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:33:27 +0200

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
<blythe2@TCNJ.EDU> wrote:

> I want to boot from my GRUB prompt to the SATA drive, but I can't
> figure out what device name to supply as root.  I've tested hd0s1
> through hd5s1 and sd0s1 through sd5s1 (the s1 part is correct, the
> first partition on the drive is root), but the boot process claims not
> to be able to find any of them.

I have 2 SATA drives running with Grub (not with GNU/Hurd or GNUMach).
I can access the drives with hd0sX and hd1sX.

Grub is version 0.93 with a patch to display splashimages.

My SATA-Controller is an VIA onboard-Controller. My PCI-Database doesn't
know the them, but he is on an ASUS A7V600 with an VIA KT-600.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best Regards Oliver Beck

--
 /"\ -ASCII-Ribbon-Campaign- |  Linux && EPIA-> http://epia.std-err.de
 \ /    Against HTML Mail    | ---                                  ---