Re: passive translator timeout

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: passive translator timeout
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:57:14 +0000

Patrick Strasser <patrick.strasser@tugraz.at> writes:

> Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>> The only correct solution is to have a daemon that sits and kicks in
>> when the eject button is pressed and removes the active translator
>> when that happens.
>
> Or let the translator register with some notification service provided
> by the CDROM driver. Other things might also want to register, like
> some kind of automounter or HW-detection. Or a tool that shows CDROM
> status (open/closed, stopped/spinning, disk/no disk, translator
> set...).

All these kind of things should be taken care of in fabrica when it is
developed.  I think it should be possible to register a notification
with an opened device that should notify the opener when the
underlying medium (whatever it is) is not available anymore.

You could have a look at the design document for fabrica/l4-hurd and
comment on that if you see big mistakes or if important things are
missing.

--
Marco