Re: help me, a beginer!

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: help me, a beginer!
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:11:09 +0200

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:08:52AM -0700, v shan wrote:
> Hello HURD Developers,
>
> I am an Electronics and Communication Engineering student in Bangalore.I want
> to know a few things regarding HURD.
> 1.Is most of the HURD written and will be written in C?

Yes, the Hurd is completely written in C, except for some assembly for booting
up.  It will also be only C in the future AFAIK.  Note however that the
microkernel is not part of the Hurd.  For example L4 (which we are trying to
port the Hurd to) is written in C++.

> 2.I am aware of C. What are the other langauges(and specifically any other
> things you want to suggest ) needed for working with the optimisaton (which
> is my future plan)of HURD?

As far as languages are concerned, C should be enough I think.  I wouldn't
know what other things you'd need.  Just start working and you'll find out.
;-)

I'm not sure if optimisation is really a useful thing to work on at the
moment, though.  I think (but some people disagree) that most effort should
really go to the L4 port at the moment.  There seems to be agreement that the
current running version (on Mach) cannot be optimised enough to become
acceptable in performance.  So if you want to optimise, the L4 port looks like
the right target.  However, I don't think it's ready for optimisation yet, as
there's too much which still needs to be built.

Anyway, don't let that stop you from checking it out. :-)

> 3.I am about to install HURD on my PC.So, wish me luck and lets keep in touch.

Welcome, and good luck. :-)

Thanks,
Bas