Re: pfinet: malformed address

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: pfinet: malformed address
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:31:28 +0100

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:33:50AM +0100, Ulrich Grün wrote:
> I'm using the Hurd in a virtual machine (vmware. Network=bridged). When I try
> to configure the network, I end up in some error message that I don't
> understand.
>
> The command I type:
> ' # settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth1 -a 192.168.0.172 -m
> 255.255.255.0 '
>
> The error message:
> ' pfinet: malformed address '

This is strange, the given addresses are fine. Make sure eth1 is the
right interface (use devprobe or the kernel logger - /dev/klog).

> I got the IP address and netmask from my Debian installation, also from
> within
> vmware. I first tried the command with -g (and some address) with no
> difference.

What do you mean by this ? Is this address already used ?

> When I try ' # pfinet --help ', I get a ' -bash: pfinet: command not found '.

/hurd is not in $PATH. You should simply enter /hurd/pfinet --help.

> Now, it seems to me that there's something wrong with pfinet.

Well, there are many things wrong with pfinet, but they don't prevent it
from working as expected, so you should be able to get networking up.

I still wonder, though, why people use the proprietary vmware when there
are free alternatives like qemu, and a ready-to-use image for it...

--
Richard Braun