Re: Just a few questions

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Just a few questions
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:29:22 +0200

Michael Heath, le Wed 16 Sep 2009 08:16:58 -0600, a écrit :
> Just curious, but I keep seeing these (and other similar) concepts being
> brought up as the amazing selling points of the Hurd, but all of this is
> entirely doable now in Linux with FUSE or things like it.

Nowadays, at LAST, yes, partly.

> I'm not sure if an ftp filesystem has been implemented for FUSE yet,
> but its definately doable; and loopback filesystems like in your
> second example have been supported for years.

As a normal user?  And establish a tap interface connected through ppp
over ssh or whatever you could want to imagine?

> What, then, are the major selling points or benefits?

These were just examples, Linux is trying to catch up in ugly ways
indeed (yes, have a look at the details of fuse, it's deemed to be
inefficient).  In the Hurd, it's that way from the _ground_ and there is
no limitation like having to be root or ask for root to add magic lines,
etc.

Samuel