Re: Hurd Newbie Question: Is Debian GNU/Hurd stable enough for programmi

From: enaut
Subject: Re: Hurd Newbie Question: Is Debian GNU/Hurd stable enough for programming in C, C++, Ruby on Rails, or Python?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 01:22:13 +0100

On Mi 02 Nov 2011 17:38:53 CET, Mark Lies wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Today is November 2^nd , 2011.  I am writing this post to ask a
> question from a newbie’s perspective with regard to the Hurd.   First,
> I will ask my question, then I will let you know what I’ve tried
> already.  I am trying to find out if Debian GNU/Hurd is stable enough
> to use as a programming platform and learning tool in these four
> languages, C, C++, Ruby on Rails, and Python.  Additionally, I am
> trying to find out if Debian GNU/Hurd is stable enough to use with the
> R-statistical package, gnuplot, emacs, and TeX and its variants.  I am
> entirely comfortable working in a *NIX environment in command-line
> mode only, ie, no windowing system installed, but am accustomed to
> working in GUI-based environments (Windows and OS X) and would prefer
> to work from a command-line terminal within a GUI.
>
> First of all, I am aware from information on the Debian GNU/Hurd
> website that Debian GNU/Hurd is not stable and not appropriate for
> someone who is an end-user and who needs a stable system like
> Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X or Debian GNU/Linux.  Also, I know that
> some people are already using GNU/Hurd daily for simple tasks like
> email, light surfing, ftp, and other ‘simple’ things, and that
> Xwindows is glitchy and sometimes hangs completely.
>
> I am trying to find out if Debian GNU/Hurd is stable enough for the
> purposes I mentioned in the first paragraph.  I have already spent a
> lot of time searching for this information, but most answers I find
> are outdated.  I've done a cursory search of the help-hurd mailing
> list archive.  I have Googled all of the obvious combinations of
> Debian, GNU, GNU Hurd, and Hurd, paired with Python, Ruby, and Ruby on
> rails.  I understand that Python, Ruby, and Ruby on Rails are all
> compatible with POSIX based environments.  I also understand how to
> follow instructions to compile from source.  Do these languages
> compile from source and function as expected in Debian GNU/Hurd?  Does
> GCC compile from source and function as expected?  Finally, I would
> ask the same question about the three software packages I mentioned.
> As a practical matter, will they compile and function as expected in
> the current form of Debian GNU/Hurd?
>
> Any help, information, or links to appropriate reading material that
> you can provide is most appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark

I think watever you do installing and maintaining possibly extending
hurd will take a lot of time leaving almost no time for coding. So if
you want to play with Hurd and try some stuff and you have no deadlines
for your coding just try it. But if you have deadlines and a huge pile
to code just use a one click install all distribution and code your
stuff without the environment getting in your way.

That said I should maybe mention that I only tried to install Hurd for
about one week and gave on trying to get something usefull (I think my
status was to get a commandline prompt but no network).

best enaut