help-jel

Re: [Help-jel] jel

From: Konstantin L. Metlov
Subject: Re: [Help-jel] jel
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:08:01 +0100 (CET)

The answer is the following: JEL uses the table-driven code generator and
the tables for it have to be accessible to the code. The tables are kept
in the "tables.dat" file in the sub-directory "gnu/jel/" of "jel.jar" (or
"jel_g.jar") file.

The simple solution is just to copy the "gnu/jel/tables.dat" from
"jel.jar" into your "C:\Java\jel-0.9.11\src\gnu\jel".

The complex solution is to regenerate the "tables.dat". This is only
needed if you change the tables in the "gnu/jel/TableKeeper.java". It is
done by

1) compiling debug version of TableKeeper.java (e.g. compiling it with
gnu.jel.debug.Debug.enabled set to "true")

and then

2) running it inside your "C:\Java\jel-0.9.11\src" with the command
"java gnu.jel.TableKeeper".

After this, the new "tables.dat"  file will be written into "gnu/jel"
sub-directory. The non-debug TableKeeper class has the code for writting
the tables omitted.

If you did not change the TableKeeper.java, the tables, generated by the
second approach, will be identical to the tables in .jar files. Therefore,
there is no need to regenerate them.

To this letter I attach my release script (used for making JEL releases),
which provides the complete and definitive answer (albeit requiring an
effort to read) on how to build JEL from source. This is done just in
case, because, as far as I remember, except for the tables, there are no
more subtleties...

The fault here is mine, because I failed to mention the "tables.dat"
generation in JEL's readme file. This is now fixed in CVS and the future
releases will have this subtlety documented.

Thank you for a good question !

With the best regards,
                            Konstantin.