help-libidn

Re: Release libidn-0.17 not available for download

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Release libidn-0.17 not available for download
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:45:02 +0100

Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> Libidn 1.17 is an alpha release (available only from alpha.gnu.org), see
>> the recent discussion on this list about shared library version problem
>> discovered in earlier releases.  During alpha testing, Marco noticed a
>> problem the libidn.map file, and I agree, so I'll need to fix that, and
>> then release 1.18 as a stable release.  Hopefully this will happen this
>> week.
>
> Thanks for the information!
>
> BTW, is there a way to distinguish alpha from stable versions
> from the version numbers? Are all odd version numbers of Libidn
> meant to be alpha versions?

No, that is not possible.  I'll add alpha/stable-labels to the NEWS file
for the 1.18 release, and use them in the future.

> (I'm asking because I'm the maintainer of mingw-cross-env, whose
>  automatic version detection was confused by Libidn. So I'm looking
>  for a way to fix that permanently.)

I'm planning to use NEWS entries like this:

* Version 1.18 (released 2010-02-15) [stable]

* Version 1.17 (released 2010-02-05) [beta]

This is consistent with some other GNU packages, notably GNU CoreUtils.

Thanks,
/Simon