help-libidn

Re: OS X and "recipe for target 'libidn2.la' failed"

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: OS X and "recipe for target 'libidn2.la' failed"
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:41:52 -0400

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to build Git on OS X 10.9. Git has a dependency on libidn2.
> libidn2 is failing as shown below.
>
> I suspect its due to AR being set to 'ar'; and not Apple's 'libtool'
> (distinct from Autool's libtool). For example, this is from one of my
> project's makefiles:
>
> ifneq ($(IS_DARWIN),0)
>   AR = libtool
>   ARFLAGS = -static -o
>   CXX ?= c++
> endif
>
> Usually its not enough to just set them, ARFLAGS option '-o' means the
> library name must immediately follow an $AR) $(ARFLAGS) sequence.
>
> I checked the mailing list but I did not see message(s) discussing
> similar errors.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for the easiest path to build on OS X?

Here's one of the hacks needed. It allows configure to finish:

    sed -i 's|$AR cru|$AR $ARFLAGS|g' configure

However, it means configure is invoked like so on OS X:

    AR="/usr/bin/libtool" ARFLAGS="-static -o " configure ...

Here's another hack that appears to be needed, but the build process
dies sooner with it applied:

    sed -i 's|$AR cru|$AR $ARFLAGS|g' aclocal.m4

Jeff