help-libidn

Re: libidn-1.33 fails to build library when some doc tools are missing

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: libidn-1.33 fails to build library when some doc tools are missing
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 09:51:15 -0500

>>> If you are 'user' (unpack tarball, ./configure, make, make install), you
>>> shouldn't need help2man since you don't start editing files that require
>>> a (developer) rebuild. That's one of the ideas of a tarball.
>>
>> I'd love to, but I don't have the luxury of using the latest Autotools.
>
> A build from the tarball doesn't need the latest autotools.

I am using the tarball. I try to avoid the bleeding edge stuff because
it causes too many problems.

This is breaking older Mac builds:

    AM_SILENT_RULES

AM_SILENT_RULES is useless because Autotools ignores it, even in the
newest versions. It serves no practical purpose. Its even more useless
because it breaks a build:

    configure.ac:26: warning: macro `AM_SILENT_RULES' not found in library
    configure.ac:26: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_SILENT_RULES
        See the Autoconf documentation.
    autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
    Failed to reconfigure IDN

To build the library I remove it with sed. I'm in the same boat if I
add m4_pattern_allow([AM_SILENT_RULES]).

Jeff