help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] Happy new year! ( and more levels)

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] Happy new year! ( and more levels)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:46:13 +0100

The deadline has been reached, and four more levels are now ready:

www.kasperhviid.dk/stuff/4more.rar

Here is a description of the levels, which also has been copypasted to
the various readme files:

  ATLANTIS

I drew a labyrint on paper, scanned it and traced its outline in
Illustrator. I did the painting in Photoshop. It ended up looking
quite cool. It took a while to draw all the neon, though.

  INK AND OIL

I finally finished a tush a ink drawing I had started a long time ago.
In Photoshop CS3 the drawing was inverted and combined with a monotype
painting I had created with oil paint.

  STRANGE NEW WORLD

This is a bit of fanart, a remake of one of the classic Liquid War
levels. The 1:1 aspect ratio is kept for historical reasons. It is
painted in Photoshop CS3. The background is one of my monotype
paintings. I hope that step wasn't to bold.

  SINUSOID

Painted in Photoshop CS3. The practical purpose of this map was to use
the wrap-around feature of LW6. The map is just a vertical sinus
curve, with horizontal paths connecting it with itself. I'm a great
fan of Art Nouveau, so I tried to make a lot of natural looking forms.
Quite a bit of work!

Creative Commons have been updated from 2.5 to 3.0 ... I have chosen
to use that newer license for my new maps.

Looking at opt-static.c, I noticed a lot of parameters still not
mentioned in the documentation. Don't know if they're working, though.

Maybe you should add a few more screenshot, to indicate that the game
has more than one level ready!

IDEAS:

The background could be scriptable, so the designer could design his
own sprites and background, and how the sprites should behave.

Some newer application takes into account that their program will run
on different screen resolutions. In Adobe Bridge and Word 2007, the
horizontal size will determine how much information will be shown.
For instance, life bars could expand from simple colored rectangles to
some 3D bars with the player name at the bottom.

The mouse could be used to make in-game adjustment: Change HUD, add
local players, turn elements on and off, drag elements around,
fullscreen and such.

I only discovered this movie recently. Damn, it is just so cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJyJVd0JWs

Happy new year!

Regards, Kasper