help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Little poll about look & feel

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Little poll about look & feel
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:41:33 +0200

2009/9/30 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Out of curiosity, which one do you prefer? Between those:
>
> http://www.ufoot.org/tmp/liquidwar6/liquidwar6-screenshot-20090430-GL_LINEAR.png
> http://www.ufoot.org/tmp/liquidwar6/liquidwar6-screenshot-20090430-GL_NEAREST.png
>
> GL_LINEAR is the current LW6 implementation, GL_NEAREST does it the way
> LW5 did, with no filtering/blending whatsoever.

I think GL_LINIAR makes the fighters fit more natural with the level
graphic. An abstrakt level with sharp edges and large contour lines
might look good with GL_NEAREST, but most levels won't. If a level
tries to look like something physical, pixels just won't fit into it.

On the other hand, the fighters *are* pixels. Pixels moving around
have their own beauty, which I think is degraded by the smooth look of
GL_LINIAR. You no longer think of it as pixels. The rough pixel look
is spoiled, without being replaced with anything else.

A while back I asked if we could get the pixel look back. Now that I
have seen the two screenshots and compared them, my first throught was
that GL_LINEAR was the overall best choice. But my answer must be that
I don't know. It is a bit of a dilemma to me.

 - Kasper