help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] LW nominated in "Open Source" competition

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] LW nominated in "Open Source" competition
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:59:31 +0200

Cool! :-)

I been thinking a bit about LW6 lately, wanting to get up and produce something ...

Let's see, where was I? I talked about creating a promotion-video, new homepage layout, the extra levels needed xml files, danish translation, drawing that pocal ..

Hey, I also wrote this stuff about GUI:
http://kasperhviid.dk/lw6-gui.html

Here is some 2nd priority ideas I wrote a long time ago:

ADDING GOALS TO THE GAME

I once played Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh. I played that game a lot. What made me play the game again and again was the challenge of getting far enough to discover yet another level. Then one day I found out that pressing F10 would let me jump to any level I wanted. I looked at all those new level, and it was interesting -- but I never played the game after that. The goal was taken away.

Most game - both those played by 'pro gamers' and those casual ones by popcap - have some build-in goals that the player can strive for: Achievements. Finishing the game, then finishing the game all over, but this time it's harder. Get a higher place on the high score.

Perhaps it would pay off to let the player start out with only a few maps and then unlock the rest by winning multiplayer games.

Or each button in the map selection screen could have a pocal icon if the player had won a game on that map.

Players could also test how many games they could win in a row without loosing.

There could be an archivement list: Won every level in the game. Survived for 1 minut. Died within 10 seconds. Played for 1 hour.

BONUSES

In computer games, bonuses gives a bit of variation, and adds to the positivism of the game, by giving the player the illusion that he has gotten something. They don't have any more function than that, but it is hard to imagine Bubble Bubble without bonuses.

In LW6, they could be some small icons which appear at a random place, stays for 2 seconds, then disappear. If a player manage to move his cursor over the icon, he will get a bonus. Some enemy fighters will be converted to his team, or his fighter will be faster/stronger for a few seconds, or his fighters gets teleported to random spots.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUT WISHLIST

This are the ones that I personly have missed:
 - Fullscreen/window toggle
 - Keep map ratio toggle
 - HUD-style toggle (Might be the TAB key .. okay, we need 'tactical' implemented first)