help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:59:51 +0200

2011/8/17 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
> Simple design, slack CSS, perfect, I could even use that to customize the
> "builtin web server" (something probably nobody tried but me but if you set
> "--skip-network" to 0 (false) then LW6 will automatically start a web server
> available on http://localhost:8056/ and it would be cool to have this share
> the same look & feel of the official web site.

Aw, another error:
WARNING! inet_addr() failed, ip="0.0.0.0"

While at the topic, have you got any new thoughts about how the
network should work? We never discussed it much.

> Todo:
> -----
>
> I think it would be nice to have icons for the GNU/Linux & source packages
> too. My opinion is that I could cut down the list of "shortcut downloads" to 6
> items, the 3 you selected (.exe, .dmg, .zip with maps) and add 3 other ones,
> namely the source .tar.gz (the most important one), the i386 RPM and the i386
> .deb. x86_64 binaries can be dropped (as a quick link, I'll still build them
> and put them in the dowbload area) in favor of nice easy to pick icons. I
> attached to this mail 3 images, which I think could fit after being shrinked
> and pasted in the "large button" format you use.

Thanks, I'll create something big and shiny! I just didn't knew how to
make all four Linux links fit in.

> I suspect it would be nice to count the number of maps in "extra-maps" and
> announce this to advertise the package. Something like "200 more levels!"
> might sell better than "extra maps" or just "more maps".

Good idea!

> Purple looks nice but it has the major drawback of being... a color! I can't
> remember when, but some day I switched the default LW menu from blue to black
> & white. The splash screen itself is white with touches of gray, only teams
> come to color it up. My belief is it's nice to have only levels & teams give a
> color touch to the game, the rest should be neutral, that's to say grayscale,
> else this gives sort of an advantage to a color. Sounds a little crazy maybe,
> but I can't help thinking if web site is purple then purple must somehow have
> an edge. Tell me what you think, for I also acknowledge black & white has its
> own drawbacks, and color is usually more cheerfull.

True, black and white risk signalling "underground" or "high-brow
art". It is hard to make it signal "fun, fast-paced gameplay"

I'll give it a try, then we finds out if it works! I really like
black'n white graphic, like woodcut, zine layout and the Nōtan idea.
There are way too few monochrome websites. It could really make the
site stand out.

Still, there are website elements which will use colors:

 - The embeded video is in color
 - Level thumbnails are in color
 - Links are blue
 - The download graphic is blue

> I wish we can have this new page set up for next release, let's say we can
> target september (end of, probably).

Okay, that is sort of a deadline, then!

 - Kasper