help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:42:06 +0200

Le 17/08/11 23:59, Kasper Hviid a écrit :
2011/8/17 Christian Mauduit<address@hidden>:
Simple design, slack CSS, perfect, I could even use that to customize the
"builtin web server" (something probably nobody tried but me but if you set
"--skip-network" to 0 (false) then LW6 will automatically start a web server
available on http://localhost:8056/ and it would be cool to have this share
the same look&  feel of the official web site.

Aw, another error:
WARNING! inet_addr() failed, ip="0.0.0.0"
OK, thanks.

While at the topic, have you got any new thoughts about how the
network should work? We never discussed it much.
Big subject. Network is probably the reason why I started the rewrite in 2005, 6 years ago... My opinion is that network in LW5 was a failure because you had to be ready on both sides at the same time, and game was over as soon as you had "lost", so you had to wait before being playing again, chat was clumsy, etc.

The idea, in LW6, is to have something you can connect "any time". Like any FPS will allow you to join the frag party whenever you want. Basically, the new "respawn" mode was made for this, you can imagine a long 1 hour LW session with people joining, leaving, and such. Of course one can imagine playing time-limit based games in network mode but I suspect deathmatch will be way more popular.

Additionnally, LW6 has a technical "special trick" which is: it has no real server. Or, put it another way, everyone is a server. I called them "nodes", whenever you start the game in network mode it (by default) listens to what happens and people can connect to it. Then to join a game, just join any node, every node has the complete game information, no server is keeping a "master map" or such things. The price to pay is a more complex architecture - hence a long development time - but the gain is that you can imagine (that's sort of a dream for me) a game starting with player A, B and C. Then D joins. Then E joins. Then A, B leave. C leaves too. D and E continue to play. Then F joins. D leaves. A and B join again. You end up with game sessions running for arbitrary long times, and you can't say that was game between A, B and C. Was just a game session, just the way when you talk with friends, any friend can leave, come back, it's open. Free.

Of course, in-game chat will be a super-must-have. One of the reasons LW6 does not really allow you to customize your keys is that I wish letters on the keyboard are all free to chat. I mean, you're playing with arrows then just type a few letters, press enter, your message is sent.

Now after all these years coding in the dark, what does work?

The game in itself is message-based, does not look much, but it is, everything is controlled with plain text commands, makes it comfortable to network it.

Node discovery/listing does work. Nodes will automatically register themselves (they need a "seed" to find the first other node, in the future I'll run such a seed on ufoot.org), maintain a list of nodes, sort them by ping time, check them, get meta information, and so on.

Communication can be established with 3 different channels, both ways. More precisely, nodes can communicate in TCP (the default, easiest to code), UDP (usually faster but unreliable) and HTTP. The http connection is very important, it should allow people to play behind a web proxy, that's to say you're at work, you can't play most games, only a few flash based games and... Liquid War 6 ;) The professionnal procrastinator is our main target!

What I was coding currently is the "multiplex" system that, in a game involving A,B and C will transfer a message to B when received from A when you're C. Clear? No, well, the idea is that node all nodes need be connected, a chain like A <-> B <-> C should allow A and C to play together, even if they have no way to communicate.

Next I'll have to finish the "serialization", or how to transmit a level through text-based messages.

Then next, I'll have to wrap all this and prepare the interface for it.

So there's a probably a few releases yet before we can *play* (hopefully releases happening more than once a year...) in network mode, but it's coming, really.

About the game itself, I guess network will be pretty much what the game is now, no need to scenarize it I think, play fight is OK, but any idea is welcome.

The one thing I don't know is how to propose/offer map changing, how do we change the map after the game is over, who chooses it (first chooser gets to choose the map, "oldest" connected player?).

True, black and white risk signalling "underground" or "high-brow
art". It is hard to make it signal "fun, fast-paced gameplay"
My position -> the video can show that?

I'll give it a try, then we finds out if it works! I really like
black'n white graphic, like woodcut, zine layout and the Nōtan idea.
There are way too few monochrome websites. It could really make the
site stand out.
;)

Still, there are website elements which will use colors:

  - The embeded video is in color
  - Level thumbnails are in color
  - Links are blue
  - The download graphic is blue
Yeah, and having those colorfull items will draw the attention on them. I'm not sure if the links should stay blue. On one hand it's so standard it's nice not to confuse users, OTOH so many sites do it (change link colors) and links are not really the one thing we want to push. Video, thumbnails and download are the 3 main things we want people to stumble upon.

Okay, that is sort of a deadline, then!
Yep.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

PS: BTW, I'm currently almost done with reading http://artofgamedesign.com/ "The art of game design" by Jesse Schell. It's really an excellent book IMHO, gave me a ton of new ideas about what the future of LW6 could (and should) be. It's not only about computer games but games in general. I recommend it ;)

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/     / _")\~ \~/