help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:09:19 +0100

Hi,

On 12/17/2011 05:31 AM, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> 2011/12/13 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
>> I like your first proposition best, with rounded edges.
>
> Okay, you're talking about this one:
> http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1617/lw6layouttesta.jpg
>
> I have just made a variation on that theme:
>  1) The text is now aligned to the left
>  2) The green stroke is replaced with a simple green drop shadow
>  3) The info area to the right is now a simple box.
>
> It looks like this:
> http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4830/lw6layoutteste.jpg
>
> Pick what you like from each proposition.
OK, thanks. FYI, what I'll probably do is:

1) release 0.0.12beta which will pretty much be the current snapshot (I
just need to massive-add metadata.xml files to be 100% clear on licence
issues)

2) keep on working on network stuff, next release should "allow a simple
network 1-on-1 match"

3) start implementing a new menu layout, as well as anticipate
Androïd/mobile support. Here's where I am: LW6, in its current form,
mostly uses OpenGL 1.0 functions, a so called "fixed pipeline" set of
functions. To work on mobile devices, I need to reduce the number of
instructions I use for mobile devices do not support all of OpenGL 1.0,
OpenGL ES 1 being a "subset of OpenGL 1". This requires some changes,
and some of them can take time. Knowing we have bugs concerning white
rectangles, performance issues, deep optimizing of this might be
interesting. And... last but not least, there's now OpenGL ES 2.0, which
is (you can imagine that...) a subset of OpenGL 2.0 but has this very
special trick that it is *incompatible* with OpenGL ES 1.0. *sigh* So
the idea would be to rewrite some renderer in OpenGL ES 2.0, which will
be naturally be compatible with OpenGL 2.0 for desktop machines, and
will be the occasion to revamp a bunch of things. And have a common code
for both desktop and mobile. This is clearly not a complete rewrite as
some common code can be shared, but it does change a bunch of things and
will require some time. I'm not completely sure I'll do this yet, but
well, let's say I'm for it. What do you think? FYI, the difference in
OpenGL ES 1,1 and OpenGL ES 2,0 is that the latest one forces you to
define your own "shaders", globally it gives a lot of control and power
to the programmer, but in turn, it's a little harder to master (but it's
within my range, no problem).

> Yep, it will be way too small for smartphones! The reason I have sized
> down the menu items is that big menus often ends up looking clumpsy.
> Also, it looks wrong when paired with the normal sized cursor of the
> operation system. (We could of course just use an alternative cursor,
> just as the in-game cursor i made, but I like that the LW6 window uses
> a "normal" cursor)
>
> So, we could:
> A) Use large menu items in both versions.
> B) Use a different menu .xml file in the mobile build.
> C) Let the width*hight in pixels of the LW6 display determine the menu
> size. (So a small  3.5 display (which also happens to have a small
> resolution) will have a somewhat larger menu size. Similar, sizing the
> window down in Linux/Windows/Mac will keep the menu at a viewable
> size.)
I would by default choose A) but C) could be interesting. B) is a
nightmare in the long run, I don't want conditionnal builds ("depends on
platform") unless it's absolutely necessary. But a command-line switch
(and/or option) would be acceptable. We could set it up by default to
"big menus" on mobile and "small menus" on desktop.

> Cool, I think I will try to keep some sort of underwater theme, and
> draw some pasport photo -styled portraits.
OK, perfect. I could even add those in the documentation, we could
possibly have a nice not-too-big fancy PDF manual (but let's not put
this on the "critical path", it can wait).

> One thing to consider is their names:
[...]
> There was also a few names in the fanfic:
> General Violet
> Baron Red
> Captain Yellow
> Commander Orange
> Sir. Turquoise
> Emperor Green
Without any hesitation, I'd go for the fanfic option. Do we need to
change any reference to "cyan" into "turquoise"?

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit - http://www.ufoot.org/                    ___ __/\__