Re: Global Variable

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Global Variable
Date: 24 Oct 2000 13:35:54 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  mc> Do we have a global variable that can be used throughout the
  mc> recursive makefiles?  For example, I defined a variable "PACKGES"
  mc> in the top makefile,and I want to assign values in the sub
  mc> makefiles.Can I collect all the packge infomation through the
  mc> recursive process?

There is no way to "pass up" information in variables or the environment
from child processes to parent processes in UNIX; each process gets its
own environment and there is no way a child can modify the environment
of its parent.

So, there is no way a child make process can modify the runtime
environment of a parent make process via "normal" process operation, and
make doesn't provide any extra facilities for this (shared memory,
pipes, etc.)

If you want to do something like this, you'll need to do it yourself.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>         Network Management Development