how to make targets with :: in filename

From: Joost van Baal
Subject: how to make targets with :: in filename
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:07:48 +0100

Hi,

I'm learning to use GNU automake; I'm using it to package a project, which
has got some perl modules and scripts in it. The project is split in a lot
of subdirectories. I know, in a directory where some scripts are, I can
write a Makefile.am which looks like this:

 foodir = $(libexecdir)/duh
 foo_SCRIPTS = foo bar

 man_MANS = foo.1 bar.1

 %.1: %
        pod2man $< $@

So, in a directory containing perl modules, I'd like to do

 man_MANS = Foo::Bar.3pm Foo::Duh.3pm

 install-man: $(MANS)

 Foo\:\:%.3pm: %.pm
        pod2man $< $@

This causes trouble: the Makefile being generated, features

 man_MANS = Foo::Bar.3pm Foo::Duh.3pm
 MANS = $(man_MANS)

 install-man: $(MANS)
        @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-man3

, and 'install-man: $(MANS)' expands to something syntactically incorrect.

When I say 'man_MANS = Foo\:\:Bar.3pm Foo\:\:Duh.3pm', I get different errors.

Could anybody give me a hint on how to tackle this? Is there a way to get the
'::' escaped correctly? Should I get my manpages generated and installed in a
completely different way?

Any help is appreciated.

Bye,

Joost