Re: Gnu make : information about makedepend

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Gnu make : information about makedepend
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:31:39 -0500

%% benoit LOOF <address@hidden> writes:

  bl> i'd like to know if gnu make includes a makedepend command, to generate
  bl> automatically file dependencies.

No, nothing like that is provided with GNU make.

  bl> if yes, i'd like to know whether makedepend is available under NT or
  bl> DOS, and where to find distribution & instructions to install it.

I believe that makedepend is available as part of the X sources, or
perhaps it's broken out separately now.  Try poking around on
ftp://ftp.x.org/.

You might also try searching for it, perhaps at Google or similar.
Sometimes it's also known as just "makedep".

And finally, note that many modern compilers have an option you can
specify which will cause the preprocessor stage to generated make-style
prerequisite definitions; with GCC, for example, the -M option (and many
variants) will do this.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/