Cannot get any cool make functions to work

From: Rob Ries
Subject: Cannot get any cool make functions to work
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:06:24 -0600

I'm using make version 3.78.1 (make -v output, below).

I was ecstatic to see all of the cool new functions available in make since
my long ago use of the program. However, none of the cool new functions work
for me. I cannot believe that all of these things (like subst, findstring,
and all the rest) were added between 3.78.1 and now.

Here's a sample makefile:
------------------------------------
.PHONY : FORCE

FORCE :
        @true

check1: FORCE
        echo $( subst ee, EE, feed the need)
------------------------------------

If I run "make check1", all I see is:

echo

I would greatly appreciate anyone giving me a clue as to what I'm doing
wrong.

Thanks.

make -v output:

GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-redhat-linux-gnu
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Rob Ries
The Adrenaline Group, Inc.