Re: Oddity with make and % macro

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Oddity with make and % macro
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:44:25 -0500

%% "Brian J. Murrell" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> I do not see any mention of ".sync-foo-test" or ".sync-bar-test" in the
  >> makefile you've provided.

  bjm> Specifically, with "test" no it does not.  I guess the fact that
  bjm> it's there implicitly via the % macro does not count.

Exactly; that's the entire definition of intermediate files: if the
target is mentioned _explicitly_ somewhere in the makefile (as a target
or prerequisite) then it can't be intermediate.

If make infers a target and it is not mentioned explicitly anywhere else
in the makefile, then it's considered an intermediate file.