How to group compilation commands for multiple targets?

From: Berche, Guillaume
Subject: How to group compilation commands for multiple targets?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:42:35 +0200

Hello,

After reading the great article "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html I was
thinking on how I could try to optimize my make-based build process for my
application written in Java.

Apart from recursive make invocation, the next slowest thing in my build
process is that I compile each source file after the other whereas the java
compiler (javac) can handles multiples sources files in the same command.
Consequently, my makefile forks a javac process more often that it could.

I could not devise how to group many dependencies that need to be rebuilt into
the same command. Can somebody enlighten me? I looked into the info files as
well as on the web. By the way, is there a FAQ for this mailing-list?

Here is an example. Imagine that A.java and B.java require compilation. Here is
my makefile:

classes: A.class B.class C.class

%.class: %.java
        javac $?

How can I have make to launch the following command:

javac A.java B.java

instead of launching

javac A.java B.java
javac B.java