Re: Kicking myself w/ Target specific variables on gmake 3.79.1

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Kicking myself w/ Target specific variables on gmake 3.79.1
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:50:00 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  c> VAL := $@

This can't work, since ":=" means "immediate evaluation" and when this
line is read in by make, the value of the variable $@ is empty (of
course, since it only has a value within a rule context).

  c> %: VAL := $@

Ditto here; why do you want to use ":=" instead of just "=" here?

  c> LIST := a b c
  c> $(LIST): echo-val
  c> echo-val: ; @echo VAL = $(VAL)

I guess I'm not sure _what_ you're trying to do; maybe a little context
or description about the results you're looking for would help.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/