Don't understand VPATH and -l prerequisites

From: Barry D Benowitz
Subject: Don't understand VPATH and -l prerequisites
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:45:12 -0400

Hi.

In a make file I specifies the VPATH where my library is, then for a
prerequisite for I target I specify the library with -l

Ex.

VPATH =/my/library/path

target : target.o -lmylib

What happened was it found the library (libmylib.a) generated the full path
to it (ie /my/library/path/libmylib.a) and included that.

What I hoped would happen is that it would maintain the -l so that the
library would be searched, instead of included. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Barry D. Benowitz - FAQ maintainer for alt.lefthanders
Email:address@hidden