Re: Shell wrappers and GCC - FYAu

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Shell wrappers and GCC - FYAu
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:27:27 -0400

%% Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

  as> Fergus Henderson <address@hidden> writes:

  as> |> Then you could use this feature by just setting the `CC' make variable
  as> |> to contain this special character followed by the name of the
appropriate
  as> |> `.so' file.
  as> |>
  as> |>        CC := &`gcc -print-dynamic-driver`
  as> |>
  as> |> Note that using GNU Make's ":=" rather than "=" here ensures that this
  as> |> will only get evaluated once.

  as> If you want that you must use the GNU make extension $(shell ...):

  as>         CC := &$(shell gcc -print-dynamic-driver)

I'm totally lost on the context here (what exactly are you trying to
accomplish?) since I wasn't privy to the origins of the thread.

However, I don't like adding a new magic symbol, either, if possible.  I
would prefer something like:

  CC := $(dynload $(shell gcc -print-dynamic-driver))

or whatever.

Of course, I'm talking pure syntax here, since I have no real idea what
this is supposed to do.  Is the idea that the compiler is a
dynamically-loaded module and make would invoke the compiler as a shared
library, instead of fork/exec?

Funky.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/