configuring(Porting) GNU make Tool for a specific target...

From: Subhash Verma
Subject: configuring(Porting) GNU make Tool for a specific target...
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:11:01 +0530

Hi Friends!!

I am a beginner for this field (GNU Tools) and I am working a project in which I have to port various GNU Tools for my taget processor "xpp-elf".

I will appreciate any kind of help or quidance regarding this matter.

I want help on these matters..

1. What is the latest version available of GNU Make Tool.

2. I have to build GNU make tool for the target "xpp-elf" under cygwin.
What changes are required in configure.in, Makefile.am ,acconfig.h or any other file for this.
   host: i686-pc-cygwin
   target: xpp-elf

3. What will be command line for ./configure to build this GNU make Tool?
  means is it will be "CC=xpp-elf-gcc ./configure --target=xpp-elf" or
  ./configure --target=xpp-elf or
 simply ./configure.

4. How the test can be performed to check whether the built tool is ok for my target(xpp-elf).With the source code of GNU make there is a directory named as tests, under which various subdirectories as targets, features,functions etc are also there.How there files are used to test the built tool.

5. will I be needed the cross compiler say xpp-elf-gcc ever in this process(building the GNU mkae Tool)?

Thanks in advace.

Regards
Subhash Verma