Re: dependency warning

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: dependency warning
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 00:50:56 -0400

%% Bob Odegard <address@hidden> writes:

  bo> Is there any way to eliminate the warning message that occurs when
  bo> building for the first time and a dependency file doesn't exist?
  bo> Make outputs a warning, builds the missing file, and then
  bo> re-invokes itself.

No.

There is a bug about this against GNU make already.  The problem seems
simple but is actually annoying to fix.

If you're doing this to generate the auto-dependency tracking rules you
might consider the method listed on my web site below; it doesn't have
this problem because it uses a completely different method of managing
dependency lists.  Check it out, it's pretty neat.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/