RE: Blank in pathnames

From: Kris Thielemans
Subject: RE: Blank in pathnames
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:21:14 -0000

> Hi,
> I'm using the unix version of make (version 3.73) on windows NT 4.0. Is
> make able to handle blanks in pathnames?

I guess you are using cygwin then. What else can you mean with 'the unix
version of make on NT'?

In that case, you have to handle blanks as in Unix: by passing the filename
with each blank preceded with a \, as in Program\ Files. That should work
most of the time. Not all scripts will handle this gracefully though. For
example, if you use
        echo a\ b
the backslash will disappear. So if you have scripts which build file names
with echo or siilar, you'll have trouble.

> Where can I find a Faq -site for gnu make?

I'd go and check the make web-site on GNU or so.

Good luck

Kris Thielemans
Imaging Research Solutions Ltd
Cyclotron Building