Re: gnu problem

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gnu problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:28:39 -0500

%% "Partha Chakrabarti" <address@hidden> writes:

Please don't use HTML when you send to mailing lists.  And in
particular, please use plain text so that your mailer won't wrap lines
when sending code examples.  It's virtually impossible to understand
what you're trying to do in examples if the lines are wrapped.

Thanks.

  pc> I am working with gnumake 3.78.1.

Note that the latest version of GNU make is currently 3.79.1.

  pc> insert_cksum$(EXE_EXT):$(INSERT_CKSUM_OBJECTS) $(LIBLMGR)
  pc> $(INSERT_CKSUM_LIBS)

  pc> we can remove this by arranging in the following order

  pc> insert_cksum$(EXE_EXT): $(INSERT_CKSUM_OBJECTS)
  pc>                         $(LIBLMGR)
  pc>                         $(INSERT_CKSUM_LIBS)

This is not at all the same thing, though.  If you want all those three
variables to be prerequisites, you must use backslashes ("\") at the end
of the first two lines.

Otherwise the second two lines are treated as commands to be invoked,
not prerequisites.

    pc> when i compile the above line it is giving

    pc> *** multiple target patterns.Stop.

  The GNU make manual has a section on error messages, and it has this to
  say about this one:

  `missing target pattern.  Stop.'
  `multiple target patterns.  Stop.'
  `target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop.'
       These are generated for malformed static pattern rules.  The first
       means there's no pattern in the target section of the rule, the
       second means there are multiple patterns in the target section,
       and the third means the target doesn't contain a pattern character
       (`%').  *Note Syntax of Static Pattern Rules: Static Usage.

Since you don't tell us what the value of the variables you're using is
it's hard to say for sure, but I'd say that there are colons embedded
in the contents of your variable.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/