included makefiles

From: Reynolds, John
Subject: included makefiles
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:57:53 -0500

Hi,

I have an application development kit that provides me with a template make file named "makefile". Its contents are something like this:

APP_NAME        := myapp

APP_SRCS        := myAppMain.c \
                screen1.c \
                screen2.c

include ../appmake.make

If I do nothing more than type "make" at the command line, makefile is read, ../appmake.make is read and because no targets are specified, the default "help" target message is echoed:

Please specify a build configuration.

The following configurations are supported:

    prd-ddk-1-ptv
    prd-ddk-1-rom
    prd-ddk-1-ram
    prd-ddk-1-rel
    dev-ddk-1-ptv
    dev-ddk-1-rom
    dev-ddk-1-ram
    dev-ddk-1-rel
    dev-ddk-1-abs

I have complete control over makefile. In fact, I need to edit it so that my source files are included in the variable APP_SRCS. I should not change appmake.make because it can be overwritten during updates to the development kit.

I need to conditionally compile sections of my code depending on whether I am building a development version or a production version. I can do this by invoking make with a -Dproduction=1.

At a minimum, I'd like to echo a line like "add -Dproduction=1 after the target name to build a production version" as a reminder every time make is run.

Ideally, I'd like to add some logic to the template makefile that I have control over so that I can intercept the target name, set the variable and then include ../appmake.make.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated.

John

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.