Re: Static Pattern Rules

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Static Pattern Rules
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:22:42 -0500

%% Thibaut Bultiaux <address@hidden> writes:

  tb> targets ...: target-pattern: dep-patterns ...
  tb>         commands

  tb> I am facing to the following problem.  I would like to build the
  tb> dep-patterns part with a script taking as argument the stem.

  tb> $(target): %: $(shell ./script %)
  tb>         @echo "Run all the target : $^"

  tb> This is not working because the stem (%) is resolved AFTER to have
  tb> launched the script.

Yes, exactly.  Just like with pattern rules.

  tb> Is there a way to avoid that ?

No.  This is how variable expansion is defined (functions are just a
special case of variables).

All you can do is use either a submake, or included makefile where you
have a rule that constructs the makefile.  In the latter case, if the
makefile to be included either doesn't exist or is out-of-date then make
will re-build it then re-exec itself.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/