Re: Java compilation: I don't like Ant

From: Jason Wessel
Subject: Re: Java compilation: I don't like Ant
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:18:10 -0500

I think this is another case for batching compiles, or adding a feature to
"collect" a set of files.

Java has the added complexity that more than one class can come out of one
java file (although I personally think it is poor practice to do that).

If you had a tool that computed the Java dependency graph, you are half way
there.  Then if you add batching compilation I think you get what you are
looking for.  I will point out that I have a working implementation of it,
but have been pondering a different implementation (more later). Let us
assume the following basic dependencies.

a.class: ab.java
b.class: ab.java
c.class: c.java
d.class: d.java
e.class: e.java

ab.java is used to derive two different classes.  Attached are the two files
I used for this example. The makefile uses the enhancement I added to make,
called "globalvar".  It allows assignment of a variable from the command
section of make rule.  I use this to collect all the files that need to be
compiled while the rules are being evaluated.  The "all:" rule has a
dependency to "batch_build" which is evaluated after all the .class
dependencies.  The batch_build will pass all the java files it found
dependencies to the compilation routine.

The makefile follows:

CollectRule = $(globalvar to_compile,$(sort $(to_compile) $<))
CompileRule = @echo compiling $(to_compile) ; ./java.pl $(to_compile)
SOURCES = ab.java c.java d.java e.java
OBJECTS = a.class b.class c.class d.class e.class

all: $(OBJECTS) batch_build
 @echo Build complete!

batch_build:
 $(if $(to_compile),$(CompileRule),)

#--Generated by a dependency program from SOURCES--
#Dependencies to other java files
e.class: c.java ab.java
#Dependencies with their correct compile rule
a.class: ab.java
 $(CollectRule)
b.class: ab.java
 $(CollectRule)
c.class: c.java
 $(CollectRule)
d.class: d.java
 $(CollectRule)
e.class: e.java
 $(CollectRule)

I have been using a program to generate make files and then use my special
version of gmake for the last year, and it works quite well.  We actually
use it more for sending multiple files to the Microsoft C++ compiler since
it takes advantage of this similarly to the java compiler.

---------
Another approach that I have been pondering is to create the concept of a
collection dependency.  Basically, all the targets of the collection
dependency would be saved and passed to the collection target rule.  For a
moment assume that the pipe symbol could be used to represent this new type
of dependency which is associated with each target.  Here is what some might
look like:

target | collection_target_rule : dependencies...
%.obj | cpp_comp_rule : %.cpp
%_1.class | java_comp_rule1 : %_1.java

Later you have the collection_target_rule which would allow you to receive
all the targets or all the source dependencies.  The collection target rules
only get executed if one of the collection rules need to be processed.  The
idea being we just do all the collections together.

We need the concept of the sources and targets that were collected from the
collection dependencies above.  Therefore we need to introduce two new
variables to represent them.  $|< will represent the sources that were
collected, and $|@ would represent the targets that were collected, for any
rule that evaluated that it needed to be built.  We would represent the
collection_target_rule with out anything preceding the pipe symbol, so as to
keep the collection rules clearly apart from standard rules. Here is what it
might look like:

| collection_target_rule : depdancies_to_other_rules

| java_comp_rule1 :
    echo Building $|@
    java.pl $|<

| cpp_comp_rule :
    echo Building $|@
    cl.exe $|<

If we go back to the original make file and now have a 1 to 1 correspondence
with the java files to classes.  We can make a very simple Make file which
would be extremely efficient.  It follows bellow.

SOURCES = a.java b.java c.java d.java e.java

## Assume 1 to 1 mapping from .java to .class files
all: $(patsubst %.java,%.class,$(SOURCES))
        @echo Build Complete

## This rule collects the files to be compiled
%.class|java_comp:%.java

## This rule is a batch compiles
|java_comp:
        java.pl $|<

#--Generated by a dependency program--
a.class: a.java b.java
b.class: a.java b.java
c.class: c.java
d.class: d.java
e.class: e.java c.java a.java b.java

Any comments?  I was thinking about writing the code to implement the above
example.

Jason.