make compile error

From: Richard Morris
Subject: make compile error
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:10:24 -0500

Hello address@hidden,

I have attempted to configure and compile your 'make' product.  My
compile was unsuccessful returning the errors listed below:

$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory
`/****/****/****/****/****/****/****/make-3.79'
Making all in glob
Making all in i18n
        file=./`echo de | sed 's,.*/,,'`.mo \
          && rm -f $file && msgfmt -o $file de.po
sh[2]: msgfmt:  not found.
*** Error exit code 127

Stop.
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/****/****/****/****/****/****/****/make-3.79'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I noticed when I ran the configure process there were five files that
were unable to be found.  Which I assume to be the reason for the failed
compile.  See Below:

$ sh configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached)
/opt/imake/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing

My question is if 'make' needs those files inorder to compile
successfully, why weren`t the in the 'make-3.79.tar.gz' file and
extracted when I did the initial unzip?

Also, where can I go to get the files listed as missing?  Because it
looks as if I need them inorder to compile 'make'.

Richard W. Morris
Programmer/Analyst
Indiana State University
(812) 237-8839