Re: make compile error

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make compile error
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:02:26 -0400

%% "Richard Morris" <address@hidden> writes:

  rm> Hello address@hidden,
  rm> I have attempted to configure and compile your 'make' product.  My
  rm> compile was unsuccessful returning the errors listed below:

  rm> $ make
  rm> make  all-recursive
  rm> make[1]: Entering directory
  rm> `/****/****/****/****/****/****/****/make-3.79'

Please get the latest version of GNU make, 3.79.1.

  rm> I noticed when I ran the configure process there were five files that
  rm> were unable to be found.  Which I assume to be the reason for the failed
  rm> compile.  See Below:

  rm> $ sh configure
  rm> loading cache ./config.cache
  rm> checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached)
  rm> /opt/imake/bin/install -c
  rm> checking whether build environment is sane... yes
  rm> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
  rm> checking for working aclocal... missing
  rm> checking for working autoconf... missing
  rm> checking for working automake... missing
  rm> checking for working autoheader... missing
  rm> checking for working makeinfo... missing

This is fine.

  rm> My question is if 'make' needs those files inorder to compile
  rm> successfully, why weren`t the in the 'make-3.79.tar.gz' file and
  rm> extracted when I did the initial unzip?

They are not needed when things work correctly.

  rm> Also, where can I go to get the files listed as missing?  Because it
  rm> looks as if I need them inorder to compile 'make'.

No.  You have some kind of a timestamp issue.  Maybe your system's clock
is set incorrectly, or your version of tar is not preserving timestamps
properly when you untar the files.

As shipped, GNU make does not need to rebuild those files as the targets
are provided in the distribution with a newer timestamp than the
prerequisites.  If these files are being rebuilt it's because the
timestamps on your files have been corrupted and make thinks that the
prerequisites are newer than the targets.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/