Re: pathsearch in the manual

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: pathsearch in the manual
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:43:45 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  yi> Untill I discovered:  it should be addsuffix  !!!

This typo in the manual was fixed for the last round of publication, but
I guess that version isn't available on the web yet.

  yi> anyhow:  why didn't make complain for an unknown function ????

There's no such thing as an unknown function.  If the contents of
$(....) are not a valid builtin function, then they're treated as if
they were a make variable--even if the "variable" name contains
whitespace.

And there's normally no complaint about expanding variables which have
not been defined.

It's probably worth adding a warning if the variable name contains
whitespace, because while it is possible to create a variable with a
name containing whitespace (IIRC), it's very hard to do.