Re: Generated makefiles

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Generated makefiles
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:39:31 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  b> If a generated makefile is included and it doesexist, and rule to
  b> make the makefile exists, gmake will remake the makefile only if
  b> that makefile is out of date, and then re-invoke itself.

  b> The second statement appears to be the problem as I am seeing the
  b> makefile being regenerated but make is NOT restarting.

  b> Anyone have any ideas about this?

You should use the -d option and see what's going on.  It might be that
make _is_ restarting, you just can't tell.

Or it might be that your rule does not convince make that the file was
really changed: if make thinks that your rule didn't actually do
anything then it won't consider the target to be modified.

At any rate, using -d should give you all the details you need.