Problem with GCC and Make

From: Lynn . Black
Subject: Problem with GCC and Make
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:37:24 -0400

Hi!  I am not sure which group this message should go to so forgive me if I
send it to the wrong one.
I was trying to install GCC on an HPUX 11.11 system.  In your instructions
you say to use GNU make to compile GCC.  So I went and got GNU make.  When
I try to compile GNU make with either /usr/bin/make or build.sh I get the
following
error:

compiling gettext.c...
cc: "gettext.c", line 252: warning 871: "inline" is allowed only for a
function.
cc: "gettext.c", line 795: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: "SWAP".
cc: panic 2017: Cannot recover from earlier errors, terminating.

It obviously has something to do with cc but I don't know what.  Can you
help me?
By the way when I couldn't get GNU make to install I tried to compile gcc
with
/usr/bin/make and that failed too.

Thanks in advance so much for any help you can provide!
Lynn

Lynn C. Black
US Patent & Trademark Office
Two Crystal Park