Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:31:14 -0400

%% "Martin d'Anjou" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Rsh invokes a shell over the network, and the environment of the
  >> original shell is _NOT_ passed to the new shell; see the rsh man page.

  md> I wonder why I did not realize that myself. Nevertheless, I cannot
  md> remove the rsh. How can I pass the command line variables to the
  md> sub-make in this context?

You will have to pass them on the command line.

The section of the GNU make manual entitled "Communicating Options to a
Sub-make" will help; in particular read the description of MAKEFLAGS and
MAKEOVERRIDES.

Other than that, you should contact some group that is knowledgeable
about rsh, because as I mentioned your real problem is not make-related
at all.  What you really are looking for is how to pass environment
variables to a remote shell through rsh.