Re: Posix standard for leading TABs?

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: Posix standard for leading TABs?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:19:51 +0000 (UTC)

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote around 11 Oct 2002
news:address@hidden:

> Um... wha?

<smile>

> Of course the POSIX standard defines the syntax of makefiles in a
> non-ambiguous way--that's what it's for.
>   sa> Is a single leading TAB character mandatory, or can there be
>   sa> multiple TAB characters before the beginning of the actual command
>   sa> for 'make' to spawn?
>
> It's required to have a TAB as the first character.  Everything after
> the first character is considered part of the command script.  So, if
> you have >1 TAB the second and subsequent ones are included as part of
> the command that make executes.

Thanks very much. Just to satisfy your apparent bewilderment at the
question, I came across a tool that generates Makefiles from templates,
and these templates (and the Makefiles they generate) have doubled TAB
chars. In corresponding with the maintainer this question was raised and
I needed to have the precise answer you have provided in order to
successfully (as it turns out) argue the case for him to change this.

   Soren A

--
Just say NO to YAHAAPs!
(http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=