Re: How to have real newline in emdeded command lines?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: How to have real newline in emdeded command lines?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:40:23 -0400

%% address@hidden (Toomas Rosin) writes:

  jc> What I want to do is to have a sed command emeded in the make
  jc> directives, but this sed command has to have some newlines in there.

  jc> So, is there a way to do this??

  tr>    No.

  tr> Actually, there is, sort of.

  tr> Suppose you want to execute, from a Makefile, the following command:

  tr>    echo 'a
  tr>    b
  tr>    c'

  tr> This can be done as follows:

  tr>           (                  \
  tr>             echo "echo 'a";  \
  tr>             echo "b";        \
  tr>             echo "c'"        \
  tr>           ) | $(SHELL)

Ooh.  Tricky.

  tr> P.S.  Is there a standard way of replying to a message in this
  tr> list without having been sent it, i.e. only having read it in the
  tr> archive?  I did "M-x rmail-input RET 2002-October.txt RET" and hit
  tr> "r", but the headers said something about imparsable addresses, so
  tr> I had to mess with headers manually, and me not a mail guru.  Is
  tr> there a better way?

I don't use RMAIL, but I see no reason why this shouldn't work.  I
expect that the rmail-input function is not parsing the input file
properly.  Maybe there's a better way to get that mail folder into RMAIL
format?

You should probably better ask this question on a GNU Emacs list where
RMAIL experts would hang out.

I use VM in Emacs, not RMAIL, and VM reads standard UNIX mailbox format
(RMAIL uses its own BABYL format) so there's no need to "import" the
archives; you just visit them as if they were folders.