Parallel gmake problem

From: Xavier . Huet
Subject: Parallel gmake problem
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:31:20 +0100

Hi there,

I have a makefile taht works well in normal execution.
But I try in parallel (-j) , I have sometimes some problem.

here is a summary of my Makefile :

DEST_DIR= ...

LIB=libFoo.so
OBJS=....

lib: build_dir_setup $(DEST_DIR)/$(LIB)

build_dir_setup :
  mkdir -p $(DEST_DIR)

$(LIB_DIR)/$(LIB): $(OBJS)
    ld .....

$(LIB_DIR)/%.o : %.c
   cc $< -c -o $@

The problem with that is the "build_dir_setup" target.
This is here to only build the directories where the final objs and the lib
will be.
So it's mandatory that these 2 directories exists before to do the link or
the compilation.

however, if I build in parallel, it seems that it's trying to build some
objects before the build_dir_setup completed
so bringing error message like :
  "Cannot open dir/toto.o"

how can I enforce this target to be processed before.

TIA,

~Xavier