Re: Parallel make & load average

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Parallel make & load average
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:50:01 -0500

%% address@hidden writes:

  xh> I am using the parallel mode of GNU with -j options.  It is
  xh> working fine . But I am wondering about the meaning of "-l" option
  xh> (load average).

Just what the docs say:

     Specifies that no new jobs (commands) should be started if there
     are other jobs running and the load average is at least LOAD (a
     floating-point number).

If make is running at least one job, but (due to -j) has an opportunity
to run another one, it will check the system load (use the "uptime"
command to see your system load) and if it is above the limit you
specify with -l, it will wait until the last job completes _or_ the load
goes down.