Re: Make error code listing

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make error code listing
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 01:06:41 -0500

%% "Chris Jimison" <address@hidden> writes:

  cj> I keep getting a make error "Error 255".  I would like to know
  cj> what an "Error 255" is.  I just need to know where I can find a
  cj> list of all the make error codes.  I have look all over and can't
  cj> find a list of all the possible make errors.  Any help would be
  cj> most appreciated.

The error messages that GNU make can generate are listed in the GNU make
manual, in the section titled Error Messages.

GNU make does not generate "error codes"; the above message means that
the program that GNU make invoked to update a target exited with a non-0
exit code (in this case, exit code 255, or -1).  GNU make determines
whether or not a command succeeds be examining the exit code: as per all
UNIX operations an exit code of 0 means success, any other code means
failure.  You need to look at the messages generated before this one to
find out why the command you invoked did not work.

In short, this is not a GNU make problem at all.