Re: define ... escaped newlines ... endef: bogus space in output

From: gk
Subject: Re: define ... escaped newlines ... endef: bogus space in output
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:52:56 -0700

At 09:11 PM 4/23/2003 -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
You can always check the bug list yourself you know :).

This is an instance of bug #1332.

Yes. You wrote:

I've checked the POSIX standard for make, and it says this:

                        IEEE 1003.1-2001 / Shells and Utilities, Issue 6
                        P. 610-611 lines 23540-23544:

When an escaped <newline> (one preceded by a backslash) is found anywhere in the makefile except in a command line, it shall be replaced, along with any leading white space on the following line, with a single
                        <space>.

So in my example, it does not seem to be a bug since the escaped newline was in the define statement, not in a command line, and therefore the additional space is POSIX compliant.

- Greg Keraunen
http://www.xmake.org