Re: make on Solaris loading wrong libraries

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make on Solaris loading wrong libraries
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:49:26 -0400

%% "Andrew Weiss" <address@hidden> writes:

  aw> I am using the Solaris CC compiler in conjunction with GNU make,
  aw> we have standardized our make on GNU. For some reason, when I
  aw> build a shared library, links to the GNU libraries libgcc_s.so and
  aw> libstdc++.so are also being created, so that when I create and run
  aw> my dynamically linked executable, I get errors that the paths to
  aw> these libraries cannot be found. These libraries should not even
  aw> be linked in, Solaris CC has its own versions of these libraries
  aw> (the later is libCrun.so). I see nothing in the make output that
  aw> shows these libraries are being linked in, every compile case is
  aw> using Solaris CC. Are there some hidden variables with default
  aw> values that I need to change?

There is nothing in GNU make which would cause any of these problems:
make is not in any way connected to GCC etc.

You must be invoking the GNU linker somehow: are you _sure_ your link
command is using Sun CC, and not GNU?  Try cutting and pasting the link
command that make prints to a shell prompt and see if the same thing
happens.  If so, you know it has nothing to do with your makefiles.  If
not, then you must be setting some environment variable, etc. in your
makefile that's changing the behavior.

You can also try using "which <link-cmd>" to make sure you're invoking
the right one, or adding a "-v" option to see if it will print version
information.