Re: using "include" in a Makefile

From: VSong
Subject: Re: using "include" in a Makefile
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:07:47 -0700

Thanks for the clarification.  So in my case I'd have to include a the path
of the code files relative to the directory that I'm running the base
'make'.    This seems a little odd; so what's the best way to ensure that a
project has been made before executing 'make' in the current directory?
(I'm using C# so 'makedepends' is out)

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote in message
> %% "VSong" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   v> Doesn't 'include' just change directory and run 'make'?
>
> No, definitely not.  It works just like #include in C, etc.: the
> contents of the included makefile are "inserted" at that point during
> the read of the including makefile.
>
> No directory change takes place, no new version of make is invoked.
>
> If you want to do that you'll have to write a rule to do it.
>
> --
-----
>  Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>          Find some GNU make tips at:
>  http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.paulandlesley.org
>  "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad
Scientist