Re: error "Unexpected end of line seen"

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: error "Unexpected end of line seen"
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:20:41 -0400

%% Neil Galarneau <address@hidden> writes:

  ng> I have a customer that is reporting an error: "Unexpected end of
  ng> line seen" on a makefile that we provide in our product.

  ng> He sees the error on his Solaris 8 box running 3.80.  The same
  ng> makefile works fine for me on Solaris 8 running 3.79.1

  ng> He says he gets the error on every line that has a :=
  ng> He says that when he changes the := to = on one line, then the error
  ng> moves to the next line.

  ng> Any suggestions?

Yes: he's not really using GNU make, but rather Solaris make.  That's
exactly the error Solaris make will give when you run it on a GNU
makefile that has a := line in it.

If they send the complete error output exactly as it was generated, it
will also obviously not be generated by GNU make (all of GNU make's
errors have a similar format).

  ng> I am concerned that just changing all := to = could change the
  ng> semantics of the makefile.

That is possible, depending.

  ng> Was support for := dropped in 3.80?

Most definitely not.